Wednesday, June 29, 2011

To the east old man

On our way to Bay Roberts, with the obligatory stops on the way. There is something with traveling more slowly. In the past couple of years I have been moving around by airplane quite often, more than ever in my life actually.

There is a pleasure in air travel, the sensation of lifting off the ground always brings a smile to my face. Once in the air though, and this is odd, it seems like space collapses around me; suddenly the bubble of personal space is threatened.

I often think about a passage in Alessandro Baricco's "Cette histoire là", describing the landscape from a moving train at the beginning of the century. The notion of moving as fast as the landscape is is fascinating. As if there is a maximum speed that the land can allow us to occupy for any length of time. The streaks of green, blue, white, brown, grey, beige have a value of speed.


- Posted from GEDEON XXIII

Location:Division No. 5, Subd. F,Canada

No comments: